Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Last Friday

Last Friday we had a busy morning.  David, Christopher and Clint were working out of town, Rachel was gone to SD, Reid was working, and Tara was gone to Confirmation.  That left Aimee, me and the little kids.  We needed to pick blueberries and mow at the cemetery.  I decided to take Clayton, Forrest, Bronwyn and Hunter with me.  Of course, Tanner went, too, because that's just what he does:)  Aimee stayed home with Walker and Morgan.

First we went to pick blueberries.  The bushes were still wet, but it was a nice warm morning.  We pushed Tanner out to the field in the stroller.  He stayed there most of the time.  Bronwyn visited with him when he needed her to.



Bronwyn (just for looks).  She picked a whole 3/4 of a pound:)

Toward the end, Tanner wanted to be done, so Clayton held him for awhile.

All of our berries - 48 1/4 pounds.

I had to go back to get some more, but I thought we did good for who all was picking.  We were there for a little under 1 1/2 hours.

The cemetery is only about 2 miles from the blueberry field, so we went straight there to mow.  There are many loved ones buried at this cemetery:  Mom, Dad & Mom Kulla, aunts, a sister who I never knew, two sisters-in-law who I never knew, a brother-in-law who died before I was in the family, nephew, great-nephew, and many friends of our family.

Tanner was sleeping at first so we just parked in the shade and left the doors open on the van.  The kids kept checking on him while I mowed.  It was a huge patch of dandelions.  I tried to run, but I found out it just pushed the dandelions over and I had to mow it again.  That's OK . . . it was such hard work that most of the time I couldn't run!!!  After Tanner woke up and  needed me to take care of him, I let Clayton and Forrest take turns mowing. They got tired pretty fast.  Tanner decided I was too hot and sweaty and didn't want me nursing him.  I was glad I'd thought to bring a couple of bottles from the freezer.  I fed him for awhile, but then Bronwyn was begging to do it since it's something she never can do (he's not a bottle baby).  (Hunter needed to run into the picture.)

Hunter and Forrest resting.

Clayton taking his turn at mowing.

Forrest on his turn.

The kids stayed occupied the whole time.  Soon after we got there we heard sirens.  Right down the road a tree fell and took out a power line.  It started a fire right along the road.  At first cars were turning around at the cemetery driveway.  Later they just had one lane closed.  They kept running to the corner of the cemetery to see what they could see and hear.

Everyone was very ready to leave when we finally got done.  It was already 1:00 and the kids decided that it would be great if we went to Taco Bell for lunch, so we went through the drive-thru.  It was delicious!!! 

That was our Friday.  Now we have to make applesauce:)


  1. Love the picture of Bronwyn, Hunter, & Tanner:)

  2. Wow, you sure stay busy! I'm not sure where I could pick berries around here. I think maybe Haines has raspberries...

  3. Oh. I miss you guys! You kids are always fun to be around! The blueberries look yummy! Applesauce, already??

    1. We miss you, too:) Transparent apples,
      the best for applesauce, are early apples.

  4. Your kiddos are so good about helping with all the things you do! And they are so interested in life-fun to see and be around.